By: Wolfwoman (Aug. 2003)
1. Remove as much meat as you possibly can with a knife.
2. I have a big pot that I can simmer (NOT BOIL) in on low heat. Simmer for about 20 minutes before checking it and removing any excess meat that you didn't get off before (remember HOT). LEAVE the nose cartilage alone, that will come off later! Repeat as needed to get as much off as you can. The reason I simmer rather than boil, is the high heat from doing that can crack canines. Take something wire that you can make a hook out of (such as a coat hanger) and hook out the brains. Be careful not to go into the nose cavity from the back and damage the delicate bones in there.
3. After I've gotten as much meat and cartilage off the skull as I can I have a 10 gallon aquarium that I place the skull in hot tap water and keep the water warm with an aqarium heater on the highest setting.
4. Let the skull sit in the water for about a week, take it out and rinse off with warm water, a lot of the flesh will come off. You can use a brush to scrub a lot of it off at this point. Don't scrape with a knife, this can leave marks. If the nose cartilage hasn't fallen off by now, don't worry it will! Start watching for loose teeth at this point, some of them will fall into the bottom of the aquarium. Make sure you fish em out and keep em. Also watch for them to fall into the sink when you're cleaning, they're impossible to get out of a drain!
5. Place back in FRESH water and let sit for another week and repeat. By now 99.9% of the flesh should be gone, if not do it one more time, some skulls are more stubborn that others.
6. Once all the flesh, cartilage, etc has been removed place the skull in a peroxide bath. I just buy it from WalMart (3% solution) and let it sit for a few days to whiten. If you want to whiten overnight you can go to a beauty supply store and buy 40% peroxide (DONT get this stuff on your skin or in your eyes!).
7. Remove the skull, let it dry off for a day, replace all the teeth (that you've also cleaned) with a small amount of glue, let it dry for about 2-3 more days and you're done!
8. Please visit the site below for an email if you have any more questions!